Monday, November 8, 2010

I'm back, Veganland!

Whew! What a hectic few days in Dallas. I will try to cover what you missed in my life in 1 post...Ready?

Crew Day - This is where all the volunteer crew get together and meet/greet, and general training. I felt very good about staying vegetarian with my regular breakfast, and a veggie sub from Subway. But all the crew wanted Mexican food for dinner, so I hoped they had something that would work. As it turned out, other crew members are veggie too, and directed me to some of the options. I chose the spinach enchiladas, and did not eat the beans in case they had lard in them.

Day 1 - Wake up call at 3:45 am....blech. I grabbed a banana and muffin to go, then headed to help with the opening ceremony traffic. As we headed out to our fist assignments of the day, I wondered what the snack options would be for the next 3 days. I always think of food. I was worried for nothing. The snacks were abundant and varied: lara bars, peaches, carrots, bagels and peanut butter, wheat thins (yea, accidentally vegan!), granola bars, and of course my favorite of all time, the peanut butter and jelly graham cracker sandwich! Since my 1st 3 Day, it is the best snack ever! They took it away last year, but I am thrilled to see it back on the menu! Lunch - hummus sandwich! But Komen changed the menu I had gotten use to after 5 years. No spaghetti....Veggie Catatori! I saw the chicken catatori, and I got the better deal! Num num!

Day 2 - Breakfast was eggs, cuz I need the protein for all the biking I do. Seasoned potatoes and veggie sausage. Just like the real thing...I just can't eat more than 1 pattie. Lunch was a let down. Apple and cheese sandwich. Really? With me working so hard, you give me a pathetic sandwichl like this? And the apple was sliced thin....but there were Sun Chips (accidentally again). But I had heard that dinner was steak...hmmm, what did that mean for me? I scored again! Stuffed Portabella mushrooms! Sweet....my favorite mushroom! And did I mention that the salad was pretty good, with a variety of greens and apple, onion, and croutons in it, not iceberg!

Day 3 - Breakfast was the same, but lunch.....Veggie burger! Yea....Then I was on my own. Dead tired, sore all over, and on the ass end of Dallas, my husband stopped at a group of convenience stores with fast food attached. He chose McD. I got a Power-aide Zero, and found a Luna bar and some Wheat Thins in my bag. I needed to eat as I had not eaten since lunch, but even as an omnivore, I never eat McD. It makes me sick....

So here I am back on the Vegan Wagon. And it is not so hard. Quick lunches are challenging as I love microwave meals. But today went good. I ended the day with Pacific Foods Butternut Squash soup with orzo. Mmmm, good.

Well, back to the laundry....

1 comment:

  1. For a quick lunch idea check out Amy's Soups. Many are vegan and all are yummy!

    ReplyDelete