Sunday, November 21, 2010

Bumpkin pumpkin.

Sorry about the title, but my daughter helped me name today's blog. I started out with a boring cup of cereal, and was getting my potato ready for the oven, when I thought I would throw my pie pumpkin in with it while it baked. I let it cool and scraped the insides out, knowing I would have to puree it before using it. I usually just freeze it for later uses, but today I wanted to make some baked goods. So off to the internet to find a recipe. I found several, but settled on one from Food.com. I think this was stolen from ppk.com according to the reviews.

Directions:

Prep Time: 10 mins

Total Time: 37 mins

  1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
  2. Grease muffin tins with vegetable shortening or spray on oil.
  3. Sift together dry ingredients (flour through cloves).
  4. In a separate bowl, whisk together wet ingredients (pumpkin through molasses).
  5. Pour wet into dry and combine.
  6. Fill muffin tins 2/3 of the way.
  7. Bake for 27-30 minutes, till a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
This makes 6 large muffins, but I made 18 regular sized muffins. I did not have allspice, so I deleted it, as well as changing the molasses (did not have that either) to maple syrup. Then I baked for 15 minutes, and yummm!

Dinner was a variation of Tofu scramble from my only vegan cookbook, The 30 Minute Vegan. I used a few tiny jalapenos and some green pepper from my front porch. I also only had 12 ounces of tofu, instead of 16. With some red pepper, onion, garlic, nutritional yeast, soy sauce, and chili powder, I scrambled it up for dinner. Pretty good for not adding all the spices (that I don't like) and never making it before. I will definitely make this again!

Tomorrow will be another day closer to T-day, are you ready? I will attempt to veganize my famous Dutch Apple Pie! I just don't know how to coat the graham cracker pie crust so it won't fall apart later. The recipe calls for an egg wash....this calls for more research! Off to the internet, again.....

1 comment:

  1. I've been quickly working my way through 30 Minute Vegan and I'm starting to think it's the only cookbook I need (even though I have a ton)!

    It's hard to go wrong with muffins and tofu scrambles!

    ReplyDelete