Sunday, November 14, 2010

A day filled with food

Sorry for not posting yesterday, so today will be 2 days worth of posts.

Yesterday started out with a lovely canoe ride on Lady Bird Lake, or Town Lake (for all you Austinites that can't stop saying that). A little bit chilly on the water, but once you start paddling, it was great. My daughter tried to paddle too, but it just messed me up!

After we got to shore, my girlfriend Danielle and I went to Wheatsville Co-op to pick up lunch and plan that nights dinner. Whoo hoo, they were sampling all their T-day goodies, and I have to say I enjoyed them all, but the pumpkin pie and the cranberry sauce. I thought the pie was bitter (I am a pie snob), and I don't care for orange in my cranberries. Personal tastes.....We grabbed lunch there, too. They had the Tofurky turkey, stuffing, garlic mashed potatoes, kale and white beans. I skipped the stuffing, as I don't like cornbread based stuffing. Its a "grew up on Pepperige Farms stuffing" thing and nothing else will do. Sorry all you southern chefs.

Dinner was Pizza. Simple and yummy with criminis, black olives, and vegan mozzarella. The taste is good, but it is wet. Weird.....I also had bought the ingredients for an apple crisp, but changed my mind at the last minute and veganized (is that a word?) an old recipe we like to call "Apple Brown Betty". It is from Pampered Chef, and I think it is called "Mom's Apple Crisp", but once you get something in your head....Yumm! Finished off the night with some Soy Nog.

Today - Oatmeal with pumpkin pie spice....Wow! Excelent
Lunch - leftovers
Must have Soy Chai!
Dinner was Split pea soup. I actually made up this recipe after looking at others and seeing what I had.

  • 1 TBSP Olive oil
  • 2 carrots, chopped
  • 1/2 red onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 TSP salt, white pepper to taste
  • 2 cups veggie broth
  • 2 1/2 cup water (I would use all veggie broth, but did not have enough)
  • 1 cup split peas
  • 1/4 cup pearled barley
Saute onion, carrot, and garlic together til soft. Add broth/water and peas/barley. Simmer for 1 hour.

I wish I had celery, it would have been good to have. And I should have put some in the blender to make it smoother/ creamier. Still pretty good. All in all, a good food day. I have had some concerns about gaining weight. I am hungry all the time, and since I thought that since everything was vegan, I could eat what I wanted, when I wanted. I have control issues with my food ( I can't control myself!), so I need to go back to the Weight Watchers way of life (portion control) til the end of Vegan MoFo. Its all about moderation. And that is hard. But so is life. Get over it, Michelle!

Until tomorrow Veganland.





1 comment:

  1. i've got some celery i'll lend you...and i still want some left over pizza.

    ReplyDelete