Friday, November 19, 2010

Back home

Well, back from my first trip away from home as a vegan. That was tough. I was under the impression that all big cities that had a Whole Foods would have a fine selection of goodies available. Not in the ready to eat variety, apparently....If I was looking for packaged goods, okay. But all I was looking for was a Tom's wrap. Oops. I forgot that it might be regional. But the veggie options were so small that I might have missed them if I hadn't asked for help. And when I ate it today, I swear it was supposed to have hummus in it....nope. And it was heavy on the green pepper, not a fave. But I got a yummy chocolate pudding and a Rice Milk Chocolate bar. Both excellent!

I was glad I brought my own dinner, since my mother and husband had spaghetti with meat sauce. I was offered Caesar salad, and when I said it was not vegan, I had to run down the ingredients to prove it. Apparently Anchovies are not animals....Hmmm. But at least I had enough to eat.

Being back in Austin makes me incredibly glad I don't live in an area that doesn't support the veggie/vegan lifestyle. It must be so hard to get products. And since I had a hard time finding a veggie wrap for lunch, it motivated me to make my own. I will be getting some veggie tortillas, and rolling like crazy. How hard can it be?

Dinner was pretty good. My family had a pizza, and I had a Morning Star lasagna with sausage like crumbles. I swear that is what the box says! I am not usually impressed by Morning Star, but as far as quick microwave meals, this was great. I have always loved the microwave meal, since I am a little bit on the lazy side. I hope they have more vegan meals than just the lasagna, as I am running by on the way to work tomorrow and need a lunch. We will see.....

1 comment: